17:54 Weekly News Roundup, May 18 – May 24: Steem Had New Hard Fork, Positive BTC Addresses Over 30M
1. The Bank of Korea will apply decentralized technology in the experiment of the CBDC;
2. Brazil will rule on whether some of the largest banks in the country wrongly locked the nation's nascent crypto scene out of financial services;
3. The Russian government is moving to criminalize Bitcoin transactions by proposing new legislation controlling digital currencies;
4. Ukraine is getting closer to providing a legal status for cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin (BTC) with a new draft bill.
1. Bitcoin (BTC) wallets with a positive address have crossed 30 million for the first time — but less than 1% contain even 10 BTC;
2. Block.one will cast their first vote with EOS next week;
3. USDT has become the third-largest cryptocurrency by market cap, followed by XRP, BCH, and BSV;
4. Steem completed a new hard fork, but $5.7 million worth of STEEM tokens was stolen during the hard fork.
[Exchange & Wallet]
1. PIEXGO will close the current platform, and users should withdraw their assets within a specified time limit;
2. Huobi now allows users to buy cryptocurrencies with credit and debit cards;
3. The stolen ETH of UPbit has been emptied from the core deposit addresses, leaving only about a thousand ETH;
4. Binance is trying its hand at decentralized stablecoin governance by joining the distributed oversight team that approves contracts and code changes on Equilibrium, a DeFi outfit behind the EOSDT stablecoin.
1. The Official Monetary and Financial Institutions Forum (OMFIF) announced the launch of its Digital Monetary Institute earlier this month;
2. Grayscale Investments has reached a new all-time high in assets under management, totaling $3.8 billion;
3. Bitcoin miner manufacturer Canaan is expected to report an 80 percent revenue loss in Q1 2020 compared to the previous year in its upcoming earnings report;
4. Japan's top credit card issuer JCB is partnering with local venture capital firm TECHFUND to create a sustainable blockchain-based transaction system.